I didn’t do an update last year, but I’ve been documenting the progress of my raspberry plants over the years. Each year does seem to get better, but there are a few general observations. The plants with the most sunlight markedly outperform those plants with partial shade. I planted two rows of raspberry canes. I believe the Anne raspberries planted in partial shade did not survive. The Joan J are small, but do produce some raspberries.
The mid-summer harvest produced far more Anne raspberries than Joan J, but the fall seems to be producing more Joan J. Also, this year I did not bother with bird netting and I haven’t noticed any major losses to the birds. It is far easier to not deal with the netting, but perhaps I am loosing some raspberries as a result.
The newest pest I encountered this summer was the spotted wing drosophilia. Or I should say the larvae they produce. There were a few of the raspberries during the mid-summer harvest that had small white worms crawling out of them, which look like maggots. Not very appetizing. They aren’t dangerous to eat, and just add protein, but they look gross. I picked the fruit fairly promptly, but if you don’t, they will destroy the fruit. Apparently this is a relatively new pest and it has quickly spread across the country. Since my harvest is relatively small, it was pretty easy to inspect the fruit and remove any of the worms.
The only other major change in how I care for my raspberries is that I got automatic sprinklers late last year. Before that, I used a soaker hose which seemed to work well. Now I have two sprinkler heads that left up and spray the plants.
So, here’s the photos. As they say, the proof is in the pudding.